DR-TA

DR-TA
http://www2.ed.gov/teachers/how/tools/initiative/summerworkshop/lewis/slide015.gif

Monday 21 November 2011

Who will be using DR-TA?

http://michaelvetrie.com/Read%20for%20Buybackday/Slide13.JPG


Grade and Class Level

I would use directed reading-thinking activity (DR-TA) in my History 12 classroom. The class would be studying the Soviet war in Afghanistan, and I would be asking probing questions such as how did the event shape Afghanistan today? And did this conflict help bring an end to the cold war?

Practicum Usage and Number of Students

I would be using this strategy for one of my practicum classes; these would take place between April and May 2012. In my History class, there would likely be around 30 students, as based on my own experience as a student, History was a very popular subject. However, this really could depend on the school and other factors such as who is teaching it, or how the program is structured.

Differentiations (Diversities and Exceptionalities)

As I plan to do my first practicum in Whitehorse, a city with a large population of First Nations Heritage, I would expect around one-third of my class to be of this background. I would therefore have to be aware of cultural sensitivities, and through the process of inclusion, be sure to promote multiculturalism and stress the benefits of having a diverse classroom. There will also be students who may have mild intellectual disabilities, such as ADHD or general troubles focusing. There would be around 5 of them in this classroom situation. This is where, as a teacher, I may have to adapt the form in which the student learns. I could reduce the sheer volume of reading pages required, or highlight key words/phrases that would help the student meet the PLO’s. All students would be striving to meet all the PLO’s, but I will differentiate the ways in which they individually learn.




No comments:

Post a Comment